Friday, October 12, 2007

Kokopelli

Loma, CO to Moab, UT
137 miles
21 hours on the trail

15 hours with my butt in the saddle
2 1/2 days


The Kokopelli Trail is a long adventure ride mixing technical single track, old wagon and jeep roads, and a bit of pavement to make it a very well rounded experience. My very supportive dad came along to drive the mini to our rendezvouses.


Day One: 55 miles, 7 hours
Started raining about 15 minutes in to the ride. Continued for the next 2 hours which of course was through the most technical sections of the trail. Then after the rain came the wind! I proceeded to battle a stiff head wind for the next 5 hours.




20 miles in...Rabbit Valley, CO : 53 miles in...near Cisco Landing, my dad rode his bike to meet me

Day Two: 50 miles, ~7,000 elevation gain, 10 hours
We awoke to a beautiful calm day. I started with a little 10 mile warm up...then the fun and games were over as I started the long steep climb into the La Sal Mountains. I loaded my pockets with Gu and jerky and away I went.











60-something miles in

Dewey Bridge to Fisher Valley
The first climb was very loose! Lots of cobbles from 1" to 6" and did I mention loose?! The descent into the Fisher Valley wasn't much different....Loose and steep!

~75 miles in - rugged terrain: last climb to the Fisher Valley

Fisher Valley to North Beaver Mesa (La Sals)
The second climb left Fisher Valley through a little pass then dropped about 1,000'. Which normally would be welcome but knowing where I had to go was up I really didn't get to enjoy the downhill as much as I would have liked. After about 3 1/2 hours (6:30 p.m.) I was starting to get cold from all my wet clothes and the sun starting to drop very low in the horizon. I topped out and my dad wasn't there! I tried not to panic....so I put on every bit of warm clothing I had and started down the paved road hoping my dad was waiting somewhere down the road. Within seconds he appeared to rescue me! I changed as fast as I could but couldn't warm up....there was nothing left to stoke the fire with. I didn't fully warm up until I ate dinner by the fire t
hat night.


leaving Fisher Valley....that's where I'm going: Fisher Valley dropping away: Fisher valley 3,000' below

Day Three: 30 miles, 3.5 hours
I started the day with one last climb. Which after the previous days climbing was nothing. And it was all on pavement. The views of the La Sals was incredible. Then I started my descent....the pay off. I descended about 20-25 miles....after a short detour the wrong way. I rolled into Moab at about 2 p.m. We went to the Moab Brewery for the best burger and fries I have ever tasted in my life!

Leaving the pavement and beginning the descent: going down?: Castle Valley from the Porcupine Rim

Back to civilization....


1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Wow, way to go Brian! At first I was jealous...then I read the part about the 7,000 foot elevation climb in one day and I thought, hummm, I will leave that one to Brian.

Does the trail hook up to Porcupine Rim. That second to last photo looks awfully familiar.

Sounds like a great adventure; gotta love Dads.