The kids both did GREAT on the flight. Myelle's been begging for a ride on airplane for quite some time, so she was thrilled. We travelled at noon on a Wednesday, so I expected the plane to be somewhat empty. Turns out it was spring break for half of the western US, so we were packed like sardines in between a huge group of college boys who were well into the "self-pickling" process... Despite that, the kids were angels--and I couldn't ask for them to be any better than they were on that flight! I think I had a harder time!
We landed in Reno, right on time, where Opa suprised Oma at the airport. We gathered up our mountains of luggage (thank goodness for SkyCap!) and went to Subway for lunch. Then it was over Donner Summit and nearly to the coast to Manteca, California to visit Maggie and her family. It was a LOOOONG day, but again, my little travellers were troopers. They didn't make a peep until about 15 minutes before we got to Maggie's house. Despite the 7-plus hours it took us to get there, the payoff was huge for the 3 days we got to spend with Maggie, Gordon and Jacob. The weather was gorgeous and a great time was had by all. We went for walks, ate good food, let each other take naps (a real treat!), and I was able to see a friend from my Ricks College days.
Sisters
Cute giggles from Gordon.
After visiting with some extended family in Sacramento, Oma, the kids and I headed back over the hill to Yerington. I think it took us about 4 hours, and again the kids were troopers, until about the last 15 minutes again! Gotta give them kudos for that.
I don't think I've ever enjoyed a visit to Yerington quite so much. I miss the stars, the openness, the wildlife, the quiet of the fish hatchery. It really was a charmed way to grow up, despite all the social issues it gave me. I hope my kids get to experience more of it before Opa retires in a few years. We didn't do a whole lot while in Yerington, either, but I was able to catch up with a few old friends at church. Opa also went crazy with the bbq (he's got quite the talent) and made to-die-for shrimp, ribs and tri-tip. Oh man. I haven't eaten that good in a long time. And I love me some food.
The kids went nuts about the fish. Myelle kept asking to swim with them (aren't I lucky that I got to swim with trout as a little girl?) and Jack kept trying to jump in. Neither of them actually did swim with the fish, but Myelle enjoyed feeding them. Myelle and I even got to go on a 500-yard "fish haul" from the raceways out to one of the settling ponds. She loved every second and I relived a bit of my own childhood.
We had a great trip. The return flight wasn't quite a smooth as the first, but at least the plane wasn't as full (or stinky), and a flight attendant took an interest in us and brought lots of goodies for my little charmers. Thanks to Maggie and Oma and Opa for putting us up for a week. I hope everyone has finally caught up on their sleep by now.
I'm already itchin for the next excursion. I think we'll take Daddy this time, though.
3 comments:
Glad you had a good time. I was just going to email you and ask how it went...perhaps I still will;)
Include us in your next excursion too!
LOVED the post... I think you may have a missed a picture though...something about Myelle and Jack in the front room?!?!?
LOVE YOU- glad you came!!!
Wow! Looks like fun--how brave of you to fly with two little ones all by yourself!
Post a Comment